The benefits of Lactic Acid
We have all heard of lactic acid. Produced by our bodies, we know that it is also found in the milk we drink and in some skincare products. So what exactly is lactic acid and what role does it really play in maintaining the health of our skin and even our hair? Let’s dive into this today.
Lactic acid is a member of the Alpha Hydroxy Acid (AHA) family. It has larger molecules and is water soluble. It is primarily used for its ability to exfoliate skin by sloughing off dead skin cells. By breaking up dead skin cells, it reveals brighter and more even skin. Additionally, it also helps hydrate skin.
More on Lactic Acid for your Skin
Being gentler than other AHA’s, lactic acid is suitable for all skin types. It can also be used in low or high concentrations for different benefits. In low concentrations, lactic acid works wonderfully to nourish skin. It is a humectant which reduces the trans-epidermal loss of water by increasing production of oil and fats within the skin resulting in well hydrated skin. This is what gives it its wonderful moisturizing properties.
Higher concentrations of lactic acid work to exfoliate skin. It can penetrate both the dermis and epidermis layers of the skin resulting in firmer and thicker skin. This reduces the appearance and occurrence of fine lines and wrinkles as well. It also reduces the scarring caused by acne and breakouts. It works by stimulating cell turnover and also reducing pigmentation. It improves skin texture and balances oil production.
Lactic Acid is also included in hair care products. Depending on the formulation, lactic acid can bring different benefits for various hair care issues. It can relax and smooth hair that is dry and scaly. It also helps restore strength and elasticity. In some concentrations, it also strips away some of the keratin coating of the hair shaft to improve the hair’s ability to absorb other restorative ingredients.
READ MORE BELOW TO SEE WHICH OF OUR PRODUCTS USE LACTIC ACID AS AN ACTIVE INGREDIENT!
A High-Strength Lactic Acid Superficial Peeling Formulation
Lactic Acid is an alpha hydroxyl acid that exfoliates the skin. This 10% formulation offers mild exfoliation and is supported with a purified Tasmanian pepperberry known to reduce signs of inflammation and sensitivity that is often associated with exfoliation. A milder 5% formula is available here.
Boost skin’s natural brightness and reveal a silky smoothness with this enriched exfoliating serum. Crafted from chemical-free, antioxidant-rich ingredients, this Certified Vegan formula removes dull, damaged skin while protecting from signs of aging.
- Glycolic Acid - Derived from sugar cane and regarded as the most effective of the alpha hydroxy acid family due to its smaller molecular size, glycolic acid is amazing at exfoliating, reducing the appearance of wrinkles, discoloration & age spots.
- Lactic Acid – Derived from fermented beet sugar & another member of the alpha hydroxy acid family, lactic acid exfoliates, reducing the appearance of wrinkles & discoloration while hydrating & moisturizing.
- Apple Stem Cells (PhytoCellTec®) – Works to reduce the appearance of age-related deterioration of the skin.
- Gigawhite – A blend of 6 organically grown alpine plants that have a dramatic brightening & evening effect on skin tone.
- Matrixyl Synthe '6 - The newest member of the Matrixyl family of peptides, Matrixyl Synthe '6 works to naturally smooth the skin & reduce the appearance of wrinkles.
A super lightweight serum featuring a rainbow of natural fruit acids and hydrators to exfoliate, smooth, and clarify skin.
- Natural Fruit Acid 5% Blend: Apple (Malic), Bilberry (Lactic), Sugarcane (Glycolic), Orange (Citric) to gently exfoliate skin leaving it soft, smooth and glowing.
- Kakadu Plum: Extremely rich in vitamin C to brighten appearance of skin and fight signs of premature aging.
- Willow Bark: Natural beta hydroxy acid to fight blemishes and soothe skin.
- Trio of Natural Hydrators (Aloe Water, Rose Water, and Vegan Sodium Hyaluronate): Hydrate and soothe skin.
A skin brightening treatment concentrated with 50% vitamin C to support collagen and elastin production, for enhanced firmness and elasticity. Fruit enzymes, beet lactic acid, and fermented rice kojic acid gently peel away dullness and even skin tone, lessening the appearance of dark age spots. This revitalizing facial mask is designed to leave skin vibrant and glowing.
Formulated with a breakthrough active blend of hyaluronic and lactic acids (think skincare, but for your hair and scalp), this botanical-infused cleanser gives you everything you need for flawless hair: body, volume, hydration, strengthening, smoothness and shine.
- Helps to remove sebum buildup
- Reduces the appearance of flakes
- Smooths hair fibres to minimize frizz
- Boosts suppleness and shine
- Strengthens hair to help prevent breakage
- Shields against pollution and environmental stressors
- Suitable for daily use