What does Salicylic Acid do for your skin?
Salicylic Acid belongs to a group of acids called beta hydroxy acid (BHA). Derived from willow bark, salicylic acid is an oil-soluble acid and it functions differently than the Alpha Hydroxy Acids family. It is a popular ingredient in a lot of beauty care products because it can be used to treat everything from acne to dandruff.
Being an oil-soluble acid gives salicylic acid the ability to penetrate through the lipid layers between the skin cells more easily. In other words, it has the ability to penetrate deeper into the skin cells than acids from the AHA family. While AHA’s work well on the skin’s surface to slough off dead skin cells, salicylic acid works deeper and is able to penetrate the pores to unclog impurities.
This makes salicylic an excellent ingredient for targeting acne and breakouts. By dissolving the various types of debris that clog pores, it acts as an anti-inflammatory agent and can additionally keep skin clear of black and whiteheads. It also reduces the redness associated with skin inflammations while ensuring that breakouts and pustules go away faster. It boosts cell regeneration which in turn increases collagen production and reduces signs of aging.
Salicylic Acid is also an excellent exfoliator. After it penetrates deep within the skin pores, it breaks down the connections between skin cells by dissolving the intracellular compounds that hold skin cells together. It also works well on the outer layers of skin due to its keratolytic properties which soften up and slough off skin cells off the top of the skin’s surface. This clears skin of blemishes and scarring. Its astringent properties also shrink enlarged pores.
It works similarly on the scalp by stripping away the outermost layer of the epidermis which ensures that dead skin cells are washed off the scalp. It also penetrates deeper into pores and hence prevents buildup and unclogs hair follicles as well. This can work to keep the scalp free of inflammations and dandruff. It can strengthen hair follicles and prevent breakage as well.
SALICYLIC ACID IS PRESENT IN A NUMBER OF OUR PRODUCTS, READ BELOW FOR MORE!
Salicylic Acid 2% Masque is formulated to target lackluster tone and textural irregularities. This wonderful mask is a rinse-off formula. Leave on for no longer than 10 minutes in order to maximize the exfoliating benefits.
A pore-diminishing gel serum powered by 100 percent natural salicylic acid to address blackheads, pores, breakouts, and excess oil.
- Natural Salicylic Acid (derived from Wintergreen): Decongests and tightens the look of clogged pores, draws out excess oil and bacteria, refines the look of skin texture.
- Grape Seed Polyphenols: Provides antioxidant protection, and prevents oil from oxidating, preventing blackheads.
- Complex of Essential Oils Formulated With Carrier Oils (Spearmint, Geranium, Lemongrass, Lavender, Rosemary, Lemon Balm):100 percent natural, non-photo-sensitizing, noncomedogenic, and antibacterial. Provides antiseptic and calming properties to skin that will diminish the appearance of blemishes and prevent new ones from occurring.
- Rosewater: Controls oil and enhances glow.
Targets and treats body breakouts.
- 0.5% Salicylic Acid - A Beta Hydroxy Acid that stimulates exfoliation in the skin, clearing pores and promoting new cell growth. Reduces inflammation and smooths skin’s surface. Powerful acne fighting ingredient.
- Sodium Chlorite – Breaks apart sebum and bacteria while preventing regrowth of bacteria for extended periods of time. Works synergistically with Salicylic Acid to increase intensity.
- Disodium EDTA – A chelating agent that helps bind free radicals and impurities, allowing active ingredients to work effectively.
- Mentha Spicata (Spearmint) Oil – A mint oil that acts as an antibacterial and antioxidant ingredient. Helps acne, dermatitis and congested skin.
In your corner: the ultimate, acne-fighting, mattifying lotion. This powerful, botanically effective, oil-free formula keeps shine at bay while it weightlessly hydrates skin. Formulated with Salicylic Acid and Willow Bark Extract, this lotion takes zits down for the count and you’ll see a visibly clearer complexion. Never tight, never oily, skin is smooth, fresh and prepped for your day (or night!).
This skin clarifying mask is made with salicylic acid to help unclog pores; naturally antibacterial tea tree, parsley, and rosemary to purify; and seaweed and basil to detoxify.