What is Hibiscus good for?
Hibiscus is a beautiful flower that is commonly used as a herbal tea for its strong flavor. A common flower in many gardens and parks, it is also popularly used in Ayurvedic medicine for its numerous health benefits. Its nutritional profile can give your overall health a major boost and its wonderful properties can also powerfully impact the health of your skin and hair.
Is Hibiscus good for your skin?
Hibiscus is known as the ‘Botox’ plant. It boosts skin elasticity by inhibiting the activity of the enzyme elastase which breaks down the elastin in our skin and renders it less resilient and more prone to wrinkles and fine lines. Regular use of hibiscus combats this aging process and helps firm and lift up your skin.
Hibiscus is also rich in antioxidants known as anthocyanocides. These are powerful compounds that fight skin damaging free radicals. They help ease signs of aging and restore youthfulness and suppleness to skin. They also have astringent properties which help cleanse pores of excess oil, dirt, and other compounds that can cause clogging. They tighten enlarged pores and also reduce skin inflammations due to their anti-inflammatory properties.
Hibiscus is rich in Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHA’s) including citric and malic acid which give it excellent exfoliating properties. This helps in getting rid of dead skin cells and also evens out skin tone. It also reduces hyperpigmentation, age spots, and other forms of discoloring by encouraging cell turnover and sloughing off damaged skin cells. This results in brighter and more even skin tone.
Hibiscus for your scalp
Hibiscus also has intense moisturizing properties due to its high mucilage content. This, along with the AHA’s and amino acids, also makes hibiscus great for hair care. Amino acids help in the production of keratin which makes up the key structure of both of skin and hair. The AHA’s help deeply exfoliate the scalp of excess oil, dirt, and product build-up and rehydrate the hair’s keratin fibers. The keratin additionally adds strength and elasticity to hair strands.
SEE BELOW FOR OUR PRODUCTS THAT CONTAIN HIBISCUS!
Rose Hibiscus Hydrating Face Mist is created with pure plant actives — no fillers. A base of coconut water is infused with youth-boosting hibiscus flower petals and moisture-enhancing rose to tone, hydrate, and soften all skin types.
- Coconut Water: Excellent for instantly rehydrating the skin and providing a new glow. In Hawaii, Coconut Water is known as “noelani,” which translates to “dew from the heavens.”
- Hibiscus Flower: Naturally rich in malic and citric acid to provide natural exfoliation and speed up cell turnover, resulting in a more even skin-tone. Also provides an intense boost in moisture and helps the skin to maintain moisture due to its high mucilage content — mucilage is a sticky substance secreted by the plant in order to retain moisture.
- Rose Water: Hydrating, high in antioxidants, and excellent for reducing redness and inflammation.
This weekly rescue for extremely dry, damaged hair restores hair structure, locks in moisture, and protects hair from further damage. A fusion of organic honey and organic hibiscus work together to restore shine, moisture and manageability, while conditioning bacuri butter and mongogo oil replenish strands. Hair is left stronger, softer and healthier.
- Delivers intense hydration to dry, damaged hair
- Helps give hair more strength, movement and shine
- Helps reduce hair breakage and provides heat protection
Avocado oil delivers an immediate boost of hydration to dry, tired and stressed skin. This captivating and velvety cream will leave your skin dewy, fragrant and free from oily residue.
- Avocado oil: This nutrient-rich oil helps to hydrate the skin, increase collagen production and keep skin supple.
- Blackcurrant: Antioxidant-rich and high in Vitamins C and E, it has the ability to absorb and neutralise free radical damage.
- Hibiscus flower: These tropical blooms bring brightness not only to nature, but also to your skin's appearance.
Bridging the gap between makeup and skincare, ILIA’s True Skin Radiant Priming Serum does more than create a perfect base for makeup application. Utilizing ingredients like hibiscus extract, aloe and beta-glucan, this silicone-free primer helps to firm, moisturize and soothe skin, while protecting it from harmful environmental factors that cause aging. Upon application, the serum has a tightening effect that diminishes the look of pores and fine lines, while improving skin texture on dry down for a silky and soft-to-the-touch feel. Skin is left with a radiant glow and prepped for effortless makeup application that lasts.